Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Muppet Movie


Something reminded me the other day of the Muppet Movie. As I've said before, Andrew introduced me to the Muppets early in my life, and this movie was a favorite. I shared the main song from the movie the other day, but there are so many more good ones. Mind you, I only saw the movie maybe once, but having a big brother who could play any song on the piano after hearing it once kept musicals playing on and on in my life. I may have only seen any movie once, but the songs lived on day after day at our piano. I'd sit on the bench with Andrew while he played all of the Muppet Movie songs, and he'd teach me to harmonize and do the Muppet voices. My husband always wonders how I know every line to every song in every musical we see. Now he knows.

The soundtrack isn't available on iTunes right now, so you'll have to let your kids watch the YouTube clips and then buy the movie for them.

This one was a classic Andrew/Suzanne piano duet. We'd do the whole montage. We still say to each other once in a while, to end a phone conversation, "I'm gonna go home, read a book, have a couple of beers, take myself for a walk and go to bed". "There's somethin' irresistible-ish about 'em". Again, the modulation always thrilled me..."2, 3, 4...."




Kermit and Fozzie come upon The Electric Mayhem playing in a church. "They don't look like Presbyterians to me..."




And the quintessential Muppet Movie song, Kermit and Fozzie Movin' Right Along. "A bear in his natural habitat, a Studebaker".




The song that always makes me tear up. Little ugly Gonzo singing about someday finding his family and his home....Puppets make me so emotional.




To end it all, the only version of America The Beautiful that can put Kate Smith's to shame, Fozzie Bear's.



Don't let your kids grow up without the Muppet Movie experience. And then, for a small fee, invite my brother Andrew over to your house to enthrall them with his Muppet soundtrack piano renditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment