Monday, November 8, 2010

It's Time To Play The Music

We interrupt Monday Mornings With Zachary to bring you the following PSA.

My brother Andrew sent me an email yesterday. It said only this:

There's a new sound, the newest sound around
The strangest sound that you have ever heard (awakawak)
Not like a wild boar or a jungle lion's roar
It isn't like the cry of any bird (ahdootadoot)
But there's a new sound, it's deep down in the ground
And everyone who listens to it squirms (awakawak)
Because this new, new sound so deep under the ground
Is the sound that's made by worms (ahdootadoot)

:-)

What is that, you ask? It's a Muppet Show song, from an old album Andrew and I used to listen to until our ears bled. We were (are) Muppet Show fanatics, and every so often we bust out a Muppet lyric randomly to the other.





Another favorite. We love to mimic the vaguely stoned sound of this guy.



This one still makes me laugh out loud, Sam the American Eagle's attitude. Andrew used to play this one on the piano and we'd reenact the scene.



Another one Andrew would play, and I'd sing Fozzie's part..."Don't day??"...



Dr Teeth and the Electric Mayhem were always the favorite. Couldn't find Tenderly, but here's Can You Picture That. Andrew and I don't go more than a month without one of us saying, "Use it if you need it, don't forget to feed it!" I loved harmonizing with Andrew on the part, "Fact is there's nothin' out there you can't do..."



I loved listening to Rowlf modulate. Andrew always references this song when modulating.



When Andrew and I used to play in the church's praise band, right before rehearsal Andrew would always say to me, "What if you and I get right down to it and do this little beauty...." Then he'd say, "Forgive me Charlie Parker, wherever you are". He'd proceed to give me a keyboard solo very similar to Zoot's. No one else in the praise band got the joke, but we'd laugh for 15 minutes.



I could go on and on, but I'll let you waste some time on YouTube being mesmerized by Jim Henson's Muppet Show. Let your kids watch Muppet Show clips on YouTube, there's nothing like it on TV anymore. I can't find the songs on iTunes, but you can Freecorder the YouTube clips and download them to your iPod. So much better than that Nickolodeon crap...

No comments:

Post a Comment