Friday, August 26, 2011

Rainbow Connection

I was cleaning out the junk/craft drawer yesterday, and came across some of Ava's artwork that was just priceless. This one was probably my favorite. Ava can express so much in such simple drawings. Her drawings always remind me of cartoonists who I consider geniuses, such as Shel Silverstein and the guy who draws the xkcd comic strips. The Oatmeal, the Savage Chickens guy, Charles Schulz and Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes, they all have that same talent Ava seems to have, the ability to express so much emotion in the simplest of cartoon forms.



Such a simple idea, but it expresses joy and awe in a way I would never think of. I can imagine this doodle as a great branding idea for an insurance company or a medical company or something. Her perspective is just so interesting, especially for an 8 year old girl.

I also love it because it makes me think of a song that always makes my heart soar and brings tears to my eyes, don't ask me why; a song that takes me back to days of sitting at the piano with my brother Andrew, singing like Kermit. If you can't sing every word of this song, I don't want to know you.

No comments:

Post a Comment