Thursday, May 21, 2009

Save The Cheerleader, Save The World




For the past two weeks I've been watching the NBC series "Heroes" from the beginning. I am in love. I had heard about how good it was, but it was one of those shows that I never had time to add into my regular lineup. Oh, what I was missing...

It is an INTJ's dream world. A group of people who have special abilities. The struggle they have between using their abilities for good or for evil. The struggle the government faces with what to do with these people; do you round them up and kill them, because of the percentage of them that use their powers for evil? Or do you create a role for them to use their abilities to do good in the world? Or do you lock them up and use them as lab rats, trying to figure out where these abilities came from? Do you hire scientists to figure out how to take these abilities away because they're so dangerous? Or do you hire scientists to figure out how to give these abilities to even more people, because they're so useful?

Oh, the dilemnas....I also love seeing all the abilities the writers come up with. You've got your basic ones; flying, mind reading, teleporting, seeing the future, breathing under water. But then you've got the random cool ones, like the guy who can manipulate sound, the girl who can control the weather with her mind, the shape shifter, the guy with the Midas touch, the guy who can take over physical control of you, the kid who can talk to machines, the baby who can make things turn on or off by touch, the girl with adoptive muscle memory.

Or how about the little girl who can tell you where anyone is in the world by looking at their picture? Or being able to tell the history of any item you touch. The coolness just never ends. I would love to be the writer that comes up with the abilities.

I also love this show because I've always felt like I didn't belong here. That there was something about me that was very different from everybody else. That I had to hide certain things about myself to fit in. And I would never have been surprised if one day government operatives burst into my living room yelling to each other "Don't get too close to her!", shot tranquilizer darts into my back, and hauled me to some underground lab to study my brain.

Ah yes, I feel a connection to the Heroes freaks. Sylar and I are not so different.

No comments:

Post a Comment