Thursday, September 4, 2008

My Parents Are Better Than Your Parents, Nanny Nanny Poo Poo

Here are some excerpts from a few of the great tributes that people from around the globe sent to my parents:


Dear Bob and Jan,

Congratulations on 50 years of modeling what God intended for marriage. Jan and I often discuss the many things we learned from you both when we were single and after we married in 1974. The time I spent living in your home and in Bible study with Bob and the time Jan spent in Bible study with Jan have had a profound, life-changing impact. Many principles for daily living were taught, but even more was caught from your example. Over the years we have taken the principles you provided for our relationship and for child-rearing, filtered them through our own experience, and used them in teaching opportunities with many couples. Right now, one of our greatest joys is actively interacting with young married couples in the same place in their lives where we were when we moved to the East Coast to be around you. Plus is it exciting to see God working through our children to raise our grandchildren with many of the same principles we learned from you.
Mike and Jan Skipper



Dear Suzanne, many and happy are our memories of Bob and Jan. 'So glad you're hosting a well deserved celebration. I'm sure one which will be recounted by many is Jan on a diet eating the entire German chocolate cake (to hide the evidence) while Bob was flying missions over Cuba. And your dad kindly risked his life on numerous occasions teaching me to fly-by God's grace we're both still here to remember.

Probably the most important and outstanding characteristic of both Bob and Jan which comes to mind is their singlemindedness of purpose in life. The Scripture that comes to mind when thinking of the is Col. 3:23,"And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men". Hopefully your time together will be characterized by laughter, tears, fond memories and a spirit of hope and joy for the time you continue to serve the Lord together in days to come.
Skip and Buzzie Gray


As a former Marine it was a joy to have another Marine, Bob, on my team.

The love and dedication of Bob and Jan were such a temendous blessing to all of us. I loved to jog but being around Bob just blew most of us away because he jogged twice a day. We all prided ourselves in our Scripture memory and review but I finally had to tell Bob to keep quiet about what he was doing in his review of Scripture verses. Nobody could keep up with him. I have never forgotten that and today at age 75 as I review my Bible Verses and stuggle to keep on top of them I think of Bob Lewis and that gives me a little extra push that I need.
Ron and Joyce York


Bob and Jan,
Congratulations! Hasn't the grace of our God been rich in your lives!
I was pleased to get this information in order to express congratuations and gratitude for the years of help and discipleship you give to me and my family. Father uses so many ways to mature us in Christ and your lives were certainly used by Him at important times in our lives. We remain grateful for all the time and love you gave us. I appreciate your love for the Kingdom of Christ and for His Word. Your zeal to know and memorize God's Word remains an example for me. I continue to remember and use some of your nuggets of wisdom, Bob, such as "See a lot, work on a little!" Or "Tough and Tender." Or "If you think you're ripe, you're rotten; if you think you're green, you're growing." We are still in ministry among the saints, working with young couples, working with young men, preaching the Word and doing evangelism in part because of your example and influence in our lives. I want to thank you for that and I thank our God for the years we had together. May our Lord Jesus Christ continue his hand of blessing, grace and mercy on your lives until we all reach that wonderful eternal Rest.
Sincere, Harry Stoliker

Bob,

For so many years you were an exemplary leader in the pro-life movement in the Philadelphia area. Your strength and guidance in the rescue movement helped bring many people to witness and sacrifice for the defenseless unborn children. You have inspired us and we are so grateful for your wonderful Christian life. To you and your lovely wife, Jan, we honor your commitment to each other through all these years together. May God continue to bless you and your family with health and happiness!

Love, Lori and Frank Cotterall


I will be posting more tributes throughout the next few days.

For most of us, we'll be lucky if we have ONE person who says these kinds of things about us when we're older. My parents have left an extremely long and wide trail of changed lives behind them as they've walked through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment