Thursday, October 21, 2010

Disenthrall Yourself

My brother Eric sent this to me the other day. If you love me, you will watch this. (I know what you're thinking, "Wow, she only wants 3 people to watch this?) If you want to know anything about me, watch this. If you hate me, watch this so that you can tell others exactly why you hate me. This is exactly what I am all about, and this is why I fight.



I was so struck, realizing that our educational system was born during the Industrial Revolution, and was created for promoting industrialism. Factory lines, everyone coming out the same. That's always been my problem with it, because industrial thinking is not creative. It doesn't encourage revolution or change or beauty or innovation.

I love the part about how our current system thinks the only thing kids have in common is their age. That the educational system sees a "sell by" date on our children. I also loved his explanation for how the Arts are the victims of the ADHD "epidemic", because the arts require you to have a sensate experience, while ADHD drugs numb your senses.

And the divergent thinking section was brilliant. Divergent thinking is what I live for imparting. Divergent thinking is what will cure cancer. Divergent thinking births innovative, wildly successful companies. Divergent thinking is what is killed, or suppressed to the point that you can barely find it anymore, in the current educational system. That isn't an opinion, it's just the truth.

Sir Ken Robinson is this amazing thinker who is revered the world over for his ideas on education and creativity in the business world.



"If you're not afraid to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original." Listen to him describe the hierarchy of subjects in all educational systems, with dance/drama at the bottom of the pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment