Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Pass The Dramamine, Ava's Reading Again


My daughter Ava reads all the time. My DNA runs deep in that girl, and she's following in my footsteps by devouring every book that crosses her path. She's been reading for years, and is always in the middle of 3 and 4 books at a time. Last night she stayed up well past 10pm finishing book 5 of the American Girl Series, Samantha (her cousin and fellow book devourer Bethany's favorite of the AG series). This morning she woke up and came out of her room with her nose in book 6, reading while she walked downstairs. She read it while she ate breakfast, put it down to get dressed and brush her teeth, and then picked it up again.

While I was getting dressed, I noticed her reading out in the hallway. The following video shows how she was reading. I had to get my camera and videotape her after this had been going on for at least 5 minutes. It went on for another 10 minutes after I took this video. She was so involved in her book she never noticed me watching her.

I took a second video shortly after taking this one, in which she almost fell but righted herself at the last minute, never taking her eyes off the page. It was an unparalleled feat of balance and precision. I would post it as well, but Eric walked out of the bathroom in his towel right at that moment and had to say something to her (damned extroverts!!!). He'd been watching quietly from the bathroom, but couldn't contain himself any longer and had to gush over this amazing and bizarre talent. She smiled at him and went right back to reading in this fashion.

There should be an Olympic event for this very thing. She didn't fall once.



I do this very same thing when I talk on the phone. Fortunately for me, I don't have anyone in my life evil enough to catch me on tape...

No comments:

Post a Comment