Thursday, June 17, 2010

By Suzanne Brigham Stoltzfus

My favorite moment from the competition in Orlando this past weekend:

Solomon and I were in the pool with Deb Szekely, who is THE west coast swing dancer. She has won too many US Open titles to count, and when it comes to Jack and Jills, few followers have a chance against her. To prove it to you, not one of the following is a choreographed routine. They're all lead and follow routines, in most of them she doesn't even know who she's going to be dancing with until 30 seconds before the song, which is also unknown, starts.










Anyway she and Solomon, who were both born and raised in New York City, were talking about the high schools they went to. She's a die hard New Yorker, a little 5'1" fireball of toughness with an accent as thick as peanut butter. At one point she turned to me and asked me where I went to high school. Solomon, who often answers for me because closing his mouth is not his forte (love!!), quickly said, "Oh, Suzanne was homeschooled!"

Deb looks at up at me and says, sounding for all the world like Tony Soprano, "What are you, a f*@&-in' Mormon??? Are you Amish???"

I fell madly in love with her in that moment, and laughed so hard that the water around me turned a lovely shade of seafoam green.

No comments:

Post a Comment