Tuesday, January 13, 2009

All Of My Momma's Love



When I was 22, I made a huge decision to pack up all my belongings and move from Pennsylvania to Nashville, TN. I had never lived farther than 20 minutes away from home, so this move was a big deal.

Life had gotten a little complicated at that point, I knew that I needed a change of venue. So I grabbed onto the first opportunity to move that came around, and off to Nashville I went.

I remember my mother saying something right before I drove away, something like "you just do what you need to do". And on that drive I remember rolling down the window and throwing out tons of mental and emotional garbage. I left a wake of litter behind me down I-95 that day...

A few weeks later, I got a card from Mom. She knew I'd know what it meant. There was a popular song on country radio around that time, and she knew I'd have heard it.

Some of us are lucky enough in life to have mothers who really love us, but not many of us are blessed to have mothers who truly understand us. I was one of the lucky few who got both.





26 Cents, by The Wilkinsons

She sat alone on a bus out of Beaumont
The courage of just 18 years
A penny and quarter were taped to a letter
And momma's goodbye in her ears

She watched as her high school faded behind her
And the house with the white picket fence
Then she read the note that her momma had wrote
Wrapped up with 26 cents

When you get lonely, call me
Anytime at all and I'll be there with you, always
Anywhere at all
There's nothing I've got that I wouldn't give
And money is never enough
Here's a penny for your thoughts
A quarter for the call
And all of your momma's love

A penny and a quarter buys a whole lot of nothing
Taped to an old wrinkled note
And when she didn't have much she had all momma's love
Inside that old envelope

When you get lonely, call me
Anytime at all and I'll be there with you, always
Anywhere at all
There's nothing I've got that I wouldn't give
And money is never enough
Here's a penny for your thoughts
A quarter for the call
And all of your momma's love

Oh its been years since momma's been gone
But when she holds the coins she feels her love just as strong

When you get lonely, call me
Anytime at all and I'll be there with you, always
Anywhere at all
There's nothing I've got that I wouldn't give
And money is never enough
Here's a penny for your thoughts
A quarter for the call
And all of your momma's love

No comments:

Post a Comment