Monday, January 12, 2009

Apple Trees And Honey Bees



One of my favorite memories from my week in Orlando for the UCWDC World Championships was riding the bus to the Magic Kingdom, to take a boat out on the lake for the fireworks. Solomon, my dance partner's boyfriend, suggested we sing a tune or two. We spend a good portion of our time together singing, it's a favorite pastime for both of us. In fact, earlier that week we had spent a good 30 minutes belting out old-time gospel songs.

I am a performer at heart. But being an introvert, I'm not naturally inclined to break out into song on a crowded bus when I'm alone. But get me with an extrovert, and I will very happily put on a spontaneous show.

Solomon brings out the inner street performer in me.

So we started with My Fair Lady and Mary Poppins. We had just finished a rousing rendition of Spoonful of Sugar, complete with pre- and post- song script quoting, when a cute little girl from the back seat tapped me on the shoulder and said in a shy voice "Do you know Step in Time?".

I said "Do we know Step in Time??!? Of course we do!!! Over the rooftops!". And I proceeded to stand up and do Step In Time....I forgot a line at one point and she yelled out "Flap like a birdie!" to help me out.



When I did my now famous Part Of Your World song from The Little Mermaid, this little girl was so enthralled. Solomon and I did a duet from Beauty and the Beast and the little girl told her mother that she hoped we were going to be on the bus all night.

After we'd exhausted our collective memories of Disney tunes, we moved into musicals. Oklahoma, Brigadoon, Singing In The Rain, The Music Man, we went on and on. This continued on the tram to the Magic Kingdom, and on the boat. A group of old folks who had been on the bus came up to us at one point and told us how impressed they were with our extensive knowledge of musicals.

The best part of the night happened on the boat, when the little girl from the bus came up to us and asked if we could watch her sing a song. She sang Miley Cyrus's "Fly On The Wall" for us, complete with hand motions. We gave her a standing ovation.

I came to the conclusion that Coca-Cola may have had it right when they proposed that if you could just teach the world to sing, we'd all stand hand in hand in harmony.



It was a lovely night...

No comments:

Post a Comment