Thursday, July 12, 2012

Zachary Phelps

Zachary has been wanting to pass his green band swim test at the pool this summer, which would enable him to swim in the deep end unchaperoned, go down the slides, etc. The test consists of swimming the entire length of the pool, and then treading water for 60 seconds. Zach attempted and failed earlier this summer, because unbeknownst to me the requirements had changed. You can no longer swim underwater the whole way, you have to do some semblance of a freestyle stroke.

So for the past few weeks I've been helping him practice his freestyle. I told him a few days ago I thought he was ready to try the test again. He was hesitant, but decided to trust me. I said a little prayer that he wouldn't fail again, twice in a row might have ended his swimming career for good.

I could tell that towards the end of his swim his little body was getting tired, but he made it.



His celebratory jump into the deep end after earning his green band says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment