Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Jiffy Two Step

Pro-Am is a dance division I've explained briefly in the past. But there is a subset of Pro-Am that I didn't mention, and that is Pro-Pro. Pro-Pro is a division for a professional dancer who doesn't have a partner but still wants to compete. That dancer can ask a higher ranking dancer to compete with them in the Pro-Pro division. Only the lower ranking Pro is judged, just like the Ams in Pro-Am. This division lets professionals compete against each other.

Solomon, my partner Richard's boyfriend, asked me earlier in the year if I would take him on as a Pro-Pro "student". I love dancing with Solomon, so of course I agreed. Our first time out we just social danced most of our dances, we didn't have time to put routines together. We danced an old Cha Cha and Waltz routine of Solomon's, and I threw together two phrases of Two Step.

In Boston, I wanted him to have a full two-step routine, so I was determined to choreograph one. The trouble is, we only had 2 hours on Friday afternoon, and we had to compete Friday night at 6. Pressure is the best motivator, so here is the Two Step that I choreographed for Solomon in one hour. We had someone videotape us practicing it so we wouldn't forget it by 6pm that night...!



Not only didn't Solomon forget it, he earned a Gold With Honors with it, and took 1st place in this dance that night.




No comments:

Post a Comment