Friday, May 27, 2011

Tons Of Poutine Needed After That Night

So I promised you a look at Showdance v 2.0. Here it is, from Montreal:



New intro, beginnings of a new costume theme, a few new moves. We slowed the music down 2%, just so our intro could be clean, but we'll speed it back up at the next event. Orlando is in two weeks, so you'll get to see version 3.0 soon.

In other dance news, my new partner Sasha and I competed in Showcase Masters for the first time in Montreal as well. Sasha is 23, and he holds the honor of being the youngest male to ever make it into Masters, which he did when he was 18 (he beat Richard and I that year, the bugger!!). He hadn't been on the competition floor in 3 years and I am so excited to be a part of his return to glory!

This was the first competition where I was going to have to compete in Classic and Showcase at the same event, during the same floor show. The event directors were nice enough to create the floor show schedule in such a way that I had 2 acts between each time I danced. I made it out alive, I didn't pass out, my legs didn't give out....I will admit that during floor show rehearsal I had a moment where my brain said, "Wow, who do you think you are?? Why do you think you can do all this?" But I told my brain to piss off and I just buckled down and willed my legs to keep moving.

Showcase Masters is different from Classic Masters (which is the division I compete in with Richard) in that you choose your own music, and you can do lifts and aerials. Sasha and I had choreographed and practiced this twostep routine exactly 6 hours total, and I think it looks great! We had some costume malfunctions (no more dancing two step in a long coat with tails when I'm sliding through the man's legs and spinning under his arm!), but other than that I think this is the beginning of a beautiful partnership!



Here are Richard's and my Smooth flight and Rhythm flight from Montreal, in the Classic Masters division. Classic Masters do not know what song will be played for each song, and you may not do lifts or aerials. You dance your 8 dances in two flights, Smooth and Rhythm. You don't have to dance all 8, you have to dance at least 5 and that 5 has to include Waltz and Two Step. In Smooth flight you can dance Waltz, Triple Two, Nightclub and West Coast, all back to back. Or you can elect to do just 2 or 3. We are doing 2 smooth dances right now, until we get new choreography.



And here is our Rhythm flight. In the Rhythm flight you dance Two Step, Cha, Polka and East Coast Swing, or a combination thereof. If you aren't dancing a certain dance, you must step off the floor while the other couples dance, then step back onto the floor for the next dance. Obviously when you're the only couple competing they don't give you a break, you just dance them all nonstop. This was a brand new polka routine, choreographed one week earlier, and when cha is finished and we're walking to our new place for polka, I'm saying to Richard, "SLOWLY, walk SLOWLY.....SLOWLY please...." Rhythm flight is a monster.



Tomorrow I'll post our line dances.

No comments:

Post a Comment