Friday, March 18, 2011

Make It Work

Quintessential Amy. My daughter Ava had a birthday party in November. When she came home from the party and unwrapped her gifts, I saw this card on the table. I knew in one second who it was from, and not because I recognized the handwriting (which of course I did, my sister has very distinct handwriting).



Tim Gunn may have originated the phrase "Make it work!", but the concept was born and perfected in Amy Lewis.

Most people go into a card shop with an occasion in mind, and head towards that section. Birthday, anniversary, baby shower, get well...Amy goes into a card shop and goes straight to the clearance rack. She grabs the cheapest card (and wrapping accouterments) and is on her way. Never you mind what's written on the card, that's of no consequence. Amy can make anything work, as shown here.

Ok, so this is a thank you card. We'll just add "for being the birthday girl!", and there you go. A card perfect for the occasion. Valentine's Day wrapping paper? Hey, they're pink hearts, perfect for an 8 year old girl's birthday party!

My favorite thing to do is come up with other Amy cards. Here's what the cards would say, and what Amy would add to make them birthday appropriate (leave your own Amy card idea in the comments, it's fun to do!):

Get Well Soon...."after eating so much birthday cake on your special day!!"

Our condolences....."on turning another year older today!"

I'm sorry for your loss...."of another year, you old coot!"

Merry Christmas....."which comes 3 months after today, your birthday!!!"

Congratulations...."on making it another year!"

Happy Anniversary...."of the day you were born!"

I miss you...."as a baby, I can't believe you're 8 today!"

And really, who cares about the wrapping or the card. They're just for show. Amy's not about show. Amy's a meat and potatoes kind of girl. Carrots carved into roses and parsley sprigs mean nothing to her. Let's all save money and bypass the pomp and circumstance.

1 comment:

  1. The irony is that I did't see this as weird until I read it in print.... In my eyes why would you spend $4 on a kids birthday card?!?!?! or any card for that matter! And ask my kids - their birthday parties always were decorated in whatever the past holiday CVS sold. Nathan (aug) always had red/white/blue. Ashley (feb) always had hearts. Alex (nov) always had thanksgiving colors. Ally/Tory (may) always had easter colors. And always candy from that holiday was in the gift bags..... yes, I gave out gift bags!

    ReplyDelete