Friday, January 28, 2011

Gotta Catch Up...Can't Let Him Win

So, in my quest to match my brother Eric's Academy Award nominated movie watching talent, I've gotten through 127 Hours, The Social Network, Winter's Bone and True Grit. I'd seen Black Swan, Toy Story 3 and Inception already. So that only leaves 3 more Best Picture noms to watch. I also watched Blue Valentine.

My personal favorite so far, of the Best Picture nominations? Hard to say...I must have loved Black Swan, as I paid to see it twice in one weekend. 127 Hours was equally breathtaking; the first movie ever that I've had to hit pause during so I could take a few minutes and recover before pressing play again. I've never felt so relieved at a movie's ending.

But Winter's Bone killed me dead. The darkness of that backwoods life...True Grit so far is my personal favorite for feel good-ness. I laughed out loud and smiled out loud quite a few times during that one.

The Social Network was really good as well. The only thing that bothered me about that one was knowing it wasn't the true story. When a topic is so current, I really want to see the real story of how it all went down. I know it wasn't supposed to be a documentary, but I couldn't get past that.

I have to say that so far Inception has been my least favorite. Yes, the CGI is amazing, but the story didn't grip me nearly as much as any of the others. I was more moved by Toy Story 3.

Blue Valentine is nominated for leading actress, Michelle Williams. She's amazing, as usual. Bleakest movie so far, although I'm assuming Rabbit Hole is going to beat it in terms of bleakiness.

Well, I'm headed back into the land of catching up with ELew. Maybe I'll have a more decisive opinion as to my favorite after I finish...

1 comment: