Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I Interrupt This Eulogy To Call China Taste



I picked up some Chinese food for the kids last night. I order from a place in East Greenville, and fairly often, so the people who work there know me. The owners are a young Asian couple, probably in their late twenties/early thirties. They're fairly modern in appearance, but neither of them speak English that well.

I had placed an order for Chinese food the night that Eric had his motorcycle accident. In fact, I had just gotten off the phone with the restaurant 5 minutes before Eric called at 8ish. Of course I rounded up the kids pronto and started driving to the hospital, not giving my Chinese food a second thought.

Later that night in the ER, around 11pm, I heard my cell phone ring. I looked down at it, and the caller ID showed "China Taste", the restaurant I order from. I had a moment's thought that it was strange that they'd be calling me, but I was obviously very preoccupied and just hit ignore. I may have commented on it quickly to Brooke, but then I put it out of my mind.

The next day, they called back. I picked up my phone, and the man owner said, "Why you not pick up you order last night??". I said, "Excuse me??!??". He says, "You order General Tso's chicken and you not pick it up".

I was SHOCKED. I realized immediately that that was what they were calling about the night before, at 11pm. I mean, REALLY????!! I said, "Are you kidding me? My husband was in a bad motorcycle accident last night right after I ordered from you, and I had to rush to the ER to see him."

He says, "Well, you should call when you not coming to pick up you order."

I said, "Are you serious right now?? When I'm thinking that my husband is possibly close to death, my cheap Chinese food order is not on my mind. I mean, maybe once I saw my husband's brains splattered all over the highway, I would have remembered, "Oh yeah, you need to call and cancel your Pork Lo Mein order...""


He was not understanding what I was saying, he just kept saying, "You always should call when you not coming for you order". I ended the call with, "Well, I can guarantee you that the next time someone close to me is in an accident and I've ordered food from you first, you won't be getting a call from me. I have ordered food from you at least 1300 times, and I've picked up every single one of those orders. I fail to pick up ONE order, and you call me at 11pm??? You're crazy".

About a week later, while Eric was home recuperating, I ordered Chinese food again. When I went to pick it up, the woman owner was at the register. When she saw me walk in, she immediately said, "Oh Susan....you not show up to pick up you order last week, why??"

I almost lost my mind. I looked at her with my patented "I think as highly of you as I do of a gnat" look, eyebrow raised, and said, "Really? My husband almost DIED last Friday night, and you're bitching at me about Chicken Lo Mein? Trust me, your stupid wonton soup is not my priority when someone in my family almost dies. Trust me."

Well, I guess seeing my face helped her to understand. She said something like, "Oh, my husband said something like that, but I didn't understand him". Yeah, no kidding. She must have felt badly, because now, every time I go in, she asks, "Oh, how you husband? He okay?"

No comments:

Post a Comment