Friday, June 25, 2010

NOOOOOOOO, DON'T WAVE AT THE HOG!!





When Eric and I were dating (you know, that 4 week period back in the Spring of 2001) he took me on his motorcycle a few times. The first time I rode with him, I noticed him doing this strange thing when we'd pass other motorcycles. At first I thought it was a coincidence, maybe a twitch or something, but the more it happened the more I realized it was intentional.

He'd take his left hand off the bike and make a peace sign, pointing it really low and shaking it twice. When I realized he was doing this in relation to the other motorcycles, I'd watch the other guy and he'd do the same thing in return.

It hit me what was going on, and I laughed out loud inside of my astronaut's helmet. If you recall my earlier post on my first date with Eric, you'll see a pattern in what happened next. I decided to start doing it, as a joke. So when we passed another cycle, I did the secret hand jive thing. Well, Eric grabbed my hand and yelled back that I was doing it all wrong. ALL WRONG, he said. 'Cause you know, insane secret hand jive motions have to be RIGHT.

He said you NEVER wave at a Harley when riding a sportbike. Well excuuuuuuuuse me. (And I was supposed to know that what we were on was a sportbike because why?) He then explained that different waves had different meanings, and that there was a hierarchy of waveability. At this point I lost it. I couldn't stop laughing. So as we continued our ride, I just started waving my ass off at any type of cycle that passed us. I was doing the Vulcan salute, Sign Language, Hang Ten, Heil Hitler...then I started doing classic shadow hand puppets, I just couldn't stop myself. It was and continues to be one of the most ridiculous things I'll ever see.

Eric was mortified...and yet again, I got another date out of it.

I still joke about it once in awhile, I'll give a secret hand wave to another minivan, and act horrified when Eric tries it on a sedan.



(...and yes, this IS my best song/blog post combination ever)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I think I'll start mining your blog for more ideas. LOL

    ReplyDelete