Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Summer Affair



I just read this book, A Summer Affair, by Elin Hilderbrand. I couldn't connect with the main character at all. She's this woman who begins an affair with the husband of one of her friends, a woman who's been in a car accident and has been left with some mental incapacties. The woman was driving drunk when the accident occurred, and Claire feels guilty because she bought the woman her last drink when they were at the bar, and while Claire and her friends asked the woman to ride home in the cab with them, they didn't insist that she do so.

That's where it falls apart for me. I can't imagine feeling guilt about someone else's actions. If you get drunk at a party, and don't take my offer of help, the consequences are all yours. I accept no part of them. I have enough to worry about in my own actions to give one second to feeling blame for yours. And I don't expect anyone else to feel one ounce of guilt about anything that I do. My actions are 100% my responsibility.

Anyway, I finished reading the book, but it was hard to get past this woman's whiny guilt and weak mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment