Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Parcheesi Anyone?



Last Saturday night I attended a 5th wedding anniversary party for my best friend Melissa and her husband Michael. I decided to surprise them by forcing everyone who attended to play The Newlywed Game. I printed out questions from the original board game, downloaded the theme song to my iPod and packed my portable speakers, grabbed a pack of paper plates to use as answer cards, and stopped at Walmart for a pack of Sharpies and prizes. Boom, Newlywed Game!

In doing this, I had a realization. No one plays couples games anymore. For me it seems so normal. When my parents were involved in the Navigators, couples games at get-togethers was the norm. My parents brought that to First Baptist Church as well. So growing up, I always saw couples getting together and playing games. Was it just a 70's thing?

These days it seems very passe among our age group. Very uncool.

Well, I'm bringing couples games back. It's my mission. Never shall there be a get-together among friends where a game is not played. When insecurities are thrown to the wind and facades are torn down, hilarity always ensues.

Cheesy games bring us together, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment