Saturday, January 31, 2009

Peanut Butter And A Baseball Bat



The first time I saw my husband make a PBJ, and spread the leftover peanut butter that was on the knife onto the other slice of bread, I must admit I was horrified.

For me, I would never even think of mixing the peanut butter and the jelly, until of course the peanut butter and jelly application is finished and you put the two pieces of bread together. Before then, never the twain shall meet. If I have leftover condiment on my knife, it gets wiped back into the jar.

But today, I made a PBJ, and decided to try it. I put the jelly on first, and wiped the excess jelly onto the other slice of bread. It felt very wrong. And as I tried to apply the peanut butter to that piece of bread that had a little bit of jelly on it, it felt even wrong-er. First of all, the peanut butter was hard to spread over the jelly. I couldn't get a consistent layer. And second, I couldn't stop thinking about how there would be more jelly in that one area than I would have planned, due to the double sided effect.

Fortunately I was making this PBJ for the kids. Because I sure wouldn't have been able to eat it.

I will go back to my way. But at least I can say that I tried. It shall never be said that I was rigid and unwilling to try new things.


No comments:

Post a Comment