Monday, January 19, 2009

I Can't Be A Comedian, People Might Laugh At Me



The kids were videochatting with Uncle Andrew the other night. Andrew started reading Curious George to them and showing the pictures. Well, he wasn't actually "reading" the book, he was retelling the story in his own words.

Ava was laughing so hard that she couldn't breathe. I've never seen her laugh so hard. It was so cute to see her, I think she finally realized "whoa, this guy is funny!". Of course, she didn't want him to SEE her laughing, so she'd either cover her mouth or move off camera to laugh.

All my life, Andrew has been the one person who can make me laugh so hard I can't breathe, and he can do it any day, any time, with any topic. I'm not an easy person to make laugh, really laugh. I very rarely laugh out loud at things. I like humor that is really sharp, smart and sarcastic, but I also laugh out loud at people tripping, or animals singing and dancing. Nothing in between. And I guess Andrew hits all those spots. He's very smart, and very dumb. My perfect combo of funniness.

So it stands to reason, Ava being my temperament, that Andrew would be funny to her. And it was so cool to see her have her moment of realization. I didn't grab the camera in time to catch her moment of non-breathing laughter, but here is a little clip of her laughing at the story.





P.S., Andrew and Kathy live in an apartment, where the temperature is hard to regulate. So when they have the heat on, it can get very hot. So Andrew had taken his shirt off before reading this story. He and I were joking afterwards "Hey kids, it's Naked Story Hour with Uncle Andrew!".

No comments:

Post a Comment