Thursday, September 25, 2008

Death Becomes Me


I'll never understand the normal person's attitude towards funerals.

For me, a funeral is a special, personal moment for the deceased's CLOSE circle.

When someone attends a funeral for a casual acquaintance, I just don't get it. Usually those people say they are going to "support" a friend, who was close to the deceased.

Personally, I can't imagine thinking I'm that important. I can't imagine that someone who just lost a loved one, is going to be suddenly comforted when I walk into that room, except maybe for, again, people who are in my close circle.

I say, if you don't know the deceased big time, get out. Send a card or some flowers, stop by with a casserole later in the week, but stay out of the funeral. To me, it's DISrespectful to show up at a funeral for someone other than the deceased; to think that you're so important that somehow the atmosphere of grief is going to lift because you show up.

If you're not torn up with grief over the death, you shouldn't be there. If your life isn't changed in any way because of the death of that person, don't bother going. If you can sit there and just say in your mind, "aww, I feel badly for the family", GET OUT!


But trust me, I realize I'm very likely the ONLY person in the world who feels this way. I know that people who need people are the luckiest people in the world.

Just know that at my funeral, there will be a bouncer at the door asking personal questions about me to each person who wants to come in. And if you don't know the answers, you ain't getting in.

So start studying, people....

1 comment:

  1. I invite you to visit www.PowerUpLove.com real people sharing real stories about how love has really impacted and changed their lives. Share your story, struggles, or testimonies. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete