Sunday, August 3, 2008

But I Did Not Shoot The Deputy

I will never understand why people buy into the hype that is created when a police officer is killed in the line of duty.

Why is it that police officers deserve such fanfare when they die? And why are their deaths publicized so much more than, say, the generic woman who gets shot at the gas station and dies?

Police officers are regular people. They are no better than you or me. They are no worse than your or me. When they are murdered, the event should be treated exactly the same as when the homeless guy on the corner is murdered.

Don't try to feed me crap about how they are "putting themselves in harm's way for me", either. People CHOOSE to become police officers. A lot of them choose the job because they get a kick out of the adrenalin rush. Yes, it's sad when they are murdered. It's no more sad than any other person's murder.

It drives me wild when a reporter talks about a man who shot 3 children, and then went out and SHOT A COP!!!, and somehow that criminal becomes MORE of a bad guy because he shot a cop.

Even the label "cop killer" drives me insane...you never hear about a "single white female killer" or "middle aged businessman killer". Someone who kills a cop is no different from someone who kills anyone else. And yet you know they are treated more harshly than "regular" murderers...

When did cops become deities?



Welcome to Being Suzanne Mosley

1 comment:

  1. It's not the person, it's the office. It's the difference between murder and terrorism.

    While I agree with your view on the issue of "heroism", there are other reasons to treat it as different from a John Doe murder. It similar to why there are crimes labeled sedition and rebellion.

    ReplyDelete