Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Parenting 101

Here's a little clip from an old Parenting seminar my Dad gave. He traveled the country speaking and teaching for years, and Parenting was a topic he was called upon to teach often. In this clip, he uses my brother Andrew and I as examples, as he often did:



My brother Andrew also found a great comment posted on a blog that allows people whose lives were touched by the Navigator ministry to leave their stories. Here is one that mentioned Dad:


TMS Has Been My Foundation

Stories March 17, 2010
I was raised in an alcoholic household with a father who beat me abusively, and a brother who molested me sexually. I used sports as my escape and my anger was used up in weight training, football and hockey. I played football one year in college, but my third knee surgery ended my sports career. Three of my closest friends committed suicide and I was lost. For six months, people on campus told me they were praying for me.

On the 4th of JULY, 1980, I asked Christ into my life. I lived in a boarding house where a brother from The Navigators lived. I told him the next morning I got saved, he thought I was nuts, but asked me later to pray. We prayed out loud together and he began to disciple me. He asked me to do the TMS with him, and I did the first book by the next week’s meeting. I went through the entire system in 6 or 7 weeks. I went on a Nav training program the next summer in Syracuse, and was able to lead three co-workers to Christ. Stayed with Navs for two more years, but all staff went to Australia.

Then suddenly Bob Lewis who was NE regional director took an interest in me and discipled me for several months before I got involved with Campus Crusade. I have been through many trials and tribulations, and 30 years later the TMS has been my foundation, and scripture memory has truly kept me from walking away from the Kingdom. Thank you for your ministry. I have never shared this with anyone before, and not quite sure why I do so now. God bless you in all you do.

~James

Navigator Connection: Ben Blackinston, Bob Lewis, Roger Sheppard

Posted by The Navigators @ 10:57 am

No comments:

Post a Comment