Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Closet Freak

My husband has always been a closet freak. No, not a freak who is in the closet, but someone who is a freak ABOUT his closet. When I first saw his closet before we were married, it reminded me of my brother Eric's closet. Everything facing the same direction, spaces between each hanger, types of shirts grouped together. He even had a color coded hanger system: short sleeved button downs on one color, tee shirts on another color, pants on yet another color. Shoes were laid out in order from most casual to most dressy.

I didn't know whether to be amazed or frightened.

Because I've always been in charge of the laundry and putting clothes away here, I've refused to follow most of his closet rules. I'll hang the shirts on whatever color hanger is closest to my hand at the time. And fortunately he is still breathing 10 years later, even though he has to walk into his closet every day and see tee shirts hung up on a rainbow colored assortment of hangers.

But there is one closet rule he still follows that I've learned to appreciate. When he takes an item off of the hanger to wear it, he take the empty hanger and hangs it on the far end of that closet bar. So when you go to rehang clean shirts, there is a section of empty hangers right there. You don't have to sift through the hanging shirts to find the empty hangers. Every time I go to hang his clean clothes up, I am reminded of how much I like that rule.

Now, I don't enjoy it enough to do it with my clothes, but I can say that I appreciate the efficiency of that particular rule. If I ever put any care into how my closet was organized, I'd implement that rule for sure. But for now, my only rule is "Throw on whatever looks cute and GET THE HELL OUT OF THE CLOSET as fast as you possibly can. Don't look back, leave all survivors behind, SAVE YOURSELF!"

No comments:

Post a Comment