Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Inconvincible



Eric took the kids rollerskating on Saturday, and then out for milkshakes. At some point during their outing, Cole informed Eric that he loved Eric more than he loved me. Eric, of course, took perverse pleasure in retelling this conversation to me privately after they came home.

And of course, when Colson came into the kitchen, I had to say to him, "So, I hear you love Daddy more than you love me..."

Cole looked at Eric with a grin and accused, "Did you tell her??!?!" Eric said to him, "Sorry, I had to."

I said to Cole, "Hey Cole, I love Zachary more than I love you."

Cole responded confidently, "Well, he can't even read, so that can't even be true."

"I love Ava more than I love you."

"She's not even an expert at Wii bowling, so I know that's not true either."

At which point I gave up. Cole is so confident of his greatness that nothing and no one can destroy it, not even an evil mother like me.

Which I guess is why we're made for each other.

1 comment: