Friday, November 27, 2009

Turkey Youth



On Wednesday night, while we were all cleaning the house in preparation for Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday, Colson decided he wanted to make a turkey flag to hang in the dining room.



After drawing the turkey flag, he said he was going to write a pledge of allegiance to the turkey flag that we would all have to say before eating on Thanksgiving day. He wrote the pledge, and I put it in the dining room with the flag.


Before eating on Thursday, he called everyone to attention and made Andrew hold the turkey flag. Colson stood on a chair holding the pledge, while everyone gathered around the table. We were all about to recite the pledge when Colson looked at me with a funny look and whispered, "Mom, I need to talk to you for a second", and pulled me into the kitchen.

He then whispered, "Mom, is "butt" an inappropriate word? I think maybe it is...". I chuckled and said, "Well, it's just family here today, so it's fine, you can say it". He looked at me dubiously and said, "I think it's too inappropriate, so I'd like to cross it out and change it quickly".

He and I quickly changed the pledge to make it more "appropriate":


We all recited the pledge to the turkey flag, Dad prayed, and we all sat on our butts and stuffed ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment