Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My Dance Card Is Full....of Venn Diagrams




As an INTJ, I am a scientist. I live to know the "why" of things.

A good example of this can be found in my dancing. I am a competitive couples dancer, and have been for about 13 years now.

When I dance, I am not happy with just being able to execute a move. I don't feel like I truly can dance until I understand WHY the moves work. If I don't feel like I can give a 30 minute lecture on the body mechanics of that particular move, I feel like a phony. Only when I fully understand what is going on, can I let go and express myself. For me, expression requires understanding.

Which probably makes me quite different from most of the dancers out there, who tend to be the SP types. They, like Nike, JUST DO IT! Who cares why? My dance partner is an ISTP. He puts up with my scientific approach to a certain point, and then he says "Yeah, at some point, you have to stop talking and JUST DANCE."

No comments:

Post a Comment